Women’s basketball jump starts season

Senior Brynna Fuller guards Pacific Lutheran freshman Andi Adams on Dec. 3 at home. Joel Ray/ Photo editor
Senior Gretchen Owen dribbles down court and out of reach of Pacific Lutheran’s players Dec. 3 at home. Joel Ray/ Photo editor

With the season just starting up, the women’s basketball team is already making a strong presence on the court, even though there are only three upperclassmen on the team.

During the preseason, the women’s basketball team had a record of 3-2. On Dec. 3, it won its first official season game against Pacific Lutheran with the score 66-61.

Senior Gretchen Owens scored a game-high 28 points and sophomore Kaely Maltman had 11 rebounds throughout the game.

PLU lead the first quarter by 12 points just after five minutes of the game. The Wildcats, however, pulled through and began to tighten the gap.

By half-time, the score was 37-30 in favor of PLU. With the shot made by freshman Karelyn Hensen, the score was finally tied 42-42.

The Wildcats briefly took the lead when Owens made a shot. PLU gained a four-point lead again but the Wildcats did not give up and fought throughout the last quarter to pull out the victory against PLU.

Freshmen, such as Katelyn Henson and Tyra Barawis, have had a strong start with their performance so far this season.

Henson is the third leading scorer for the team with 48 points so far. Barawis has the second highest number of defensive rebounds with 25.

Barawis shined at the first away game versus La Verne on Nov. 21, which led to a 75-72 victory. She was on top of her game with a 10/11 shooting average and four rebounds.

Henson started her first season for the Wildcats with seven points and three assists during the Northwest Christian game on Nov. 18.

Both players are expected to be crucial contributors for the team this season alongside the four returning players. This is including Owens, who is a two-time all-Northwest Conference and Malthman honorable mention.

There have already been injuries that have afflicted the team, including freshmen Taylor Solomon’s torn ACL and Carrie Skuzeski’s stress fracture. With her stress fracture,
Skuzeski remains a part of the team.

“[Skuzeski] does more of the behind-the-scenes stuff now,” Barawis said. “She is still a key member of the team.”

Last year’s turn around season forces the team to strive for another successful season.

Goals for the team this year are to make it to the playoffs and possibly bring home the first league championship for the women’s basketball program.

“We are trying to keep in mind that even though we are a young team, we are still capable of great things,” Barawis said.

______________________________________________________________________
Ivanna Tucker/
Features editor
Ivanna Tucker can be reached at [email protected].