Linfield hosts Fiesta Latina to celebrate Hispanic culture

Vanesa Montalvo, Staff Writer

On Saturday afternoon, the Fred Meyer Lounge in Riley Hall was filled with music, food and games that celebrated, and embraced the Hispanic culture.

Linfield hosted the Fiesta Latina, an event that is put together by Linfield College Latinos Adelante, MEChA, the Spanish Club and the Multicultural Programs Office. This event is a celebration of national Hispanic Heritage Month, which is observed by Americans from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.

There are many students and faculty at Linfield that look forward to this event every year. The ones who put it together make sure to portray the rich and lively culture that Hispanic countries have to offer.

In the Hispanic culture, music is something that is deeply embedded in, which is why music is always a big hit at Fiesta Latina.

“I love my culture’s music and dancing to it,” said Itzel Romero, ’18. When asked what her favorite thing about Fiesta Latina, her answer was, the music. This year there was a live band, and even a karaoke machine, students and parents were able to come together and sing along to their favorite songs.

There is no doubt that Fiesta Latina is an event for the Linfield community to come together and enjoy the music, food and culture that Hispanic countries have to offer. Though, it is also a way for Linfield to demonstrate the ethnic diversity that is present on campus.

“The fact that we have this day sends out a good message that there is this Latino community presence on campus that is valued and embraced by Linfield,” said Romero.

For many, Fiesta Latina is more than vibrant colors and lively music, it is way to showcase the beauty and richness that is ingrained in the Hispanic culture.