Athletes do more than compete

Ross Passeck, For the Review

It could be bizarre to think that a touchdown pass or a game winning goal had anything to do with bettering the community but the same student athletes making plays on the field are making major moves in improving the local and state community.
The Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is an organization that dedicates itself to connecting student athletes to the community. They raise money for and contribute to countless charitable foundations, including the Susan G. Komen foundation for breast cancer research. Their charitable efforts include local Yamhill County charities as well, such as helping to run the Special Olympics in Yamhill County and playing with kids at Sue Buel Elementary School, leaving an impact at every level of charity.
Though the SAAC is as much about improving student athletes as it is improving the community.
Being able to demonstrate their character on and off the field allowed Linfield’s student athletes to represent who they truly were, rather than being misunderstood as nothing more than athletes.
The impact of the SAAC will also be seen at Linfield this Halloween as they plan to hold a costume themed dodgeball tournament. Once more the SAAC will demonstrate their ability to join athleticism and philanthropy in fun and creative ways.
Yet the impact of this single organization can even be seen overseas. Last year the SAAC held a coin drive which raised funds to build a track for underprivileged children in Africa. “We are constantly looking for organizations or people in need. If anyone knows of organizations or people who are in great need, we are always looking for groups to donate to through our efforts,” President of SAAC and senior Taylor Pirnke said.
This organization is a bright spot amongst Linfield’s many organizations.
“We want to teach all athletes that being an athlete at Linfield is more than just participating in sport, it is being a part of a culture that truly cares about what is going on outside of campus,” Pirnke said.