Students tell 411 on long distance relationships

Sammy Wong, For the Review

As the saying goes, “absence makes the heart grow fonder.” Except anyone who has been in a long distance relationship knows that the “long distance” part of the relationship sucks and the saying amounts to just a string of pretty words. A long distance relationship demands a whole new level of trust, inner strength, and communication than any other type of relationship in order to thrive. Being long distance will make you bitter about any sightings of PDA on campus. Long distance will suck your pocket money for gas and plane tickets. And if cell phones really emit harmful levels of radiation, long distance will kill you. But fear not, there is an end to the emotional roller coaster you decided to board. Long distance is doable. If you are the type of person who is willing to give it a go, and ultimately suffer through the spotty Linfield wifi while attempting to FaceTime your loved one, your attempt isn’t in vain.
Do not, I repeat, do not isolate yourself from civilization.Research obtained by The Center for the Study of Long Distance Relationships finds that those in long distance relationships have a tendency to cut themselves off from others and turn inward when dealing with issues. Don’t miss out on those vital social experiences. Reach out to your peers and when needed, find a comfy shoulder to cry on that isn’t your own. An estimated 4.4 million college students are currently in long distance relationships, and in some studies, 20-40 percent of the college’s student body. You are not alone. If you are dealing with a lot talk to a friend, a counselor, a family member, or someone that you trust. Having a supportive network while dealing with a long distance relationship is crucial.
Schedule,Schedule, Schedule. FaceTime, Skype, texting, phone calls, Snapchat, you name it. For couples seeking to integrate their lives in the face of distance, these gifts of the modern age are a staple.
While cultivating intimacy through technology and social media, have a schedule of concrete, uninterrupted blocks of time dedicated for the two of you. Be the first to open the dialogue about how many times a week these sessions should be, for how long, and which days work best for both of your schedules. Differing expectations of how much time the relationship needs in order to thrive can cause long-term issues. Exchanging class schedules, keeping the dialogue open, and staying faithful to the schedule you both created together will ensure less communication issues.
Stay Optimistic. For most couples, there is nothing ideal about a long distance relationship. But in majority of cases, the “long distance” part of the relationship is not permanent. The bottom line is, there is nothing preventing you and your loved one from being psychologically close, even if physical closeness is unachievable. While it may be painful being away from someone you care about this can be an opportunity for individual growth. Committing to a long distance relationship is a challenge. But for those of us not planning to partake in the old fashion “turkey drop,” the possibilities for our relationships are endless.

Sammy Wong