Students learn logistics of pursuing career happiness

Michael J. Hampton, director of career development, presented “The Pursuit of Career Happiness” to students, sharing tips for pursuing dreams Oct. 11 in Ice Auditorium. Melanie Timmins/Senior photographer

“It’s up to you to effectively communicate the skills and proficiencies that will benefit your future,” a career development advocate said.

Freshmen were given the opportunity on Oct. 11 to learn about how to “achieve their dream job in realistic ways,” said Michael J. Hampton, the director of career development at Linfield.

Linfield freshmen are required to attend several of the “happiness” seminars for colloquium, learning lessons about living a happy life.

Hampton, who has been the director of career development at Linfield since July, said he enjoys the job process and wants students to as well. He said he advises students to be confident about who they are and what they’re about.

One exercise Hampton led students in required them to introduce themselves to one another, describing themselves with their most marketable skills.

Hampton, who has previously worked at Nike, had several tips for students to reach their dream jobs.

He advised students to connect with people in the community, such as Linfield staff, students and McMinnville merchants, who can provide opportunities to break into their desired career field.

“I learned about what an informal interview is,” freshman Marina Jablonski said. “An informal interview is when a person can ask employers questions about their career.”

Freshmen were given tips about informal interviews, such as doing research about the job beforehand, dressing appropriately and to never ask for a job.

“It was cool how you can be the interviewer instead of the interviewee,” freshman Alexis Heredia said.

Freshmen were also encouraged to major in an area they are genuinely interested in, rather than in something they think will impress employers.

“I learned that over 40 percent [of employers] want people they hire to have passion for the academic major they choose,” Jablonski said.

Hampton discussed how social networking websites, such as Facebook and Twitter, can be advantageous in finding a career.

He said that some employers even post job openings on their Twitter accounts.

“The social media part was interesting,” freshman Sarah Mason said.

There are also online assessments for students who are unsure about what career path to take. Websites, such as SIGI3 and Career Beam, can help students think about potential careers according to their interests and abilities.

Hampton assured students that it is okay to be unsure about what career to pursue.

“He made me feel okay about not knowing what to do with my life yet,” Mason said.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Meghan O’Rourke/
Opinion editor
Meghan O’Rourke can be reached at [email protected].