Upcoming art competition gives opportunities for Linfield students to showcase their work, regardless of major

Riley Omonaka, News Editor

Are you a student? Got art? Submit it to the Linfield Juried Art Show for evaluation. The Linfield University art department is accepting entries from all students. Whether they like to paint, sculpt, or craft, all mediums are accepted for submission. 

“The juried art show is an incredible opportunity for Linfield students to exhibit their art alongside their peers in a renowned gallery space curated and juried by a brilliant Colombian artist Diana Marcela Cuartas,” Thea Gahr, a Linfield art professor, said in an interview with The Linfield Review. 

Linfield students from any department are welcome to submit up to three works from Nov. 28 to Nov. 29 at 5 p.m. at the MFAC seminar room in the Linfield art building. Selected works will be showcased in the Linfield Gallery Nov. 30 through Dec. 16.

“I’m excited to see what everyone comes up with, especially people outside of the art department,” Meghan Mullaly, a senior digital art major, said.

Students who don’t have art to submit should still attend the opening on Nov. 30 from 4:30 to 8 p.m. The show will be accompanied by a makers market and a dance party DJ’d by Mitchel Charles, a local artist. The makers market will feature handmade gifts, wrapping paper, and ornaments made by Linfield artists.

Submissions will be judged by Diana Marcela Cuartas who will be awarding first, second, and third place. 

Cuartas is a current Masters of Fine Art candidate at Portland State University. She is a Colombian artist who investigates the intersection between society, community and identity. She has been an artist-in-residence studying different “popular culture phenomena ” in Puerto Colombia, Lima, Mexico City and San Juan, Puerto Rico according to the Linfield Galleries. 

Any questions about the show should be directed to Thea Gahr at [email protected].