After 15 years, the Linfield women’s golf team comes away with the tournament win

Linfields+leading+scorer+Raegan+Barr+on+her+follow-through.++

JJ Anderson

Linfield’s leading scorer Raegan Barr on her follow-through.

JJ Anderson, Staff Writer

The Wildcat Invitational teed off Saturday morning at Michelbook Country Club, where the Linfield Wildcats played host to other members of the Northwest Conference. 

The women defended their home course, finishing in first with a combined score of 762. This was the first time the Linfield women’s golf program took home a tournament win in over 15 years. 

Freshman Hannah Hughes found herself in fourth going into day two after carding a 92 on Saturday. Right behind Hughes in fifth place was senior Raegan Barr with a 94. Sophomore Frances Remmick finished the day in ninth with a score of 100. The fourth Wildcat in the top 10 after day one, sophomore Caitlin Hillman went into Sunday tied for 10th with a day one score of 101. Freshman Tori Schuller tied for 12th after a day-one score of 105.

Barr jumped up the leaderboards on Sunday to third with an 86. After carding a 92 on Saturday, Hughes dropped one spot into a tie for fourth with her finishing score of 99 on Sunday. 

Hillman improved on her day one score of 101 and broke the century mark for a day-two score of a 94, good enough for eighth place. After shooting a 105 on Saturday, Schuller improved by 10 strokes to shoot a 95 to finish in ninth. Finishing just outside of the top 10, Remmick shot a 102 to finish in 11th.

The men finished in third place with a combined score of 623.

On day one, sophomore Riley Lynch and freshman Grant Moen led the way for the Wildcats sitting tied for 10th after shooting a 78. Lynch got off to a hot start, carding birdies on hole three and hole seven, only to triple bogey eight and earn a front nine score of 38.

Sophomores Chris Cayford and Trevor Price found themselves tied for 18th after carding 81s. Rounding out day one for the Linfield men was sophomore Bryce Hatcher tied for 23rd with an 82.

A back nine 33, consisting of three birdies and an eagle on 18, helped Lynch move up to finish in a tie for eighth with a score of 75 on Sunday. 

Price carded a 75 as well, placing him in a tie for 13th. Finishing alongside Price, Moen followed up his Saturday 78 with another 78 on Sunday. Cayford improved his day one score of an 81, to a 77 on day two to finish in a tie for 16th. Hatcher rounded out the scoring for the Wildcats with an 81, finishing with a tie for 23rd.

Next up, the men will travel to the George Fox Invitational on Oct. 2 and Oct. 3 at Gearhart Golf Links. The women will be at the Culturame Classic at Willamette Valley Golf Club on the same dates.