On-campus restrictions change as Yamhill County moved to “High Risk”

Nathan Herde

Yamhill County was moved from “Extreme Risk” to “High Risk” on Friday

Ethan Myers, News Editor

Linfield University announced last Thursday, via Linfield Ahead, that on-campus restrictions will be modified following Yamhill County’s change in COVID-19 risk level from “Extreme” to “High.”

The announcement came after Gov. Kate Brown shifted the risk levels of 16 Oregon counties to less restrictive designations last Tuesday. They went into effect on Friday and will be reviewed again on March 11. In larger counties, like Yamhill, risk categories are based on the rate of COVID-19 cases per 100,000 over 14 days and the test positivity rate. 

Changes to Linfield’s on-campus guidelines include the opportunity for indoor events to take place, if approved by the Office of Conference and Event Planning. According to the newsletter, “room capacities are limited to 50% of the posted COVID-19 room capacity or 50 people total, whichever is smaller.” Food will not be allowed at indoor events.

The dining tent, located on Renshaw Avenue, has reopened with a maximum capacity of 50 people.

Although outdoor recreational activities, including athletic competitions, have already been occurring, the capacity at these events has been raised from 50 to 75 people.

Linfield’s weight and cardio rooms are also reopening with similar restrictions those in place during the fall semester. A full overview of guidelines, as well as the reservation system, can be found here.

But not at all restrictions have changed. Unapproved social gatherings are still limited to six people total from two different households or family units. Linfield’s numerous temporary policies, such as the ID badge and enhanced cleaning policies, remain in place.

Broader policies such as wearing face coverings, social-distancing, and avoiding large, indoor gatherings are all still required and enforced on Linfield’s campuses.