Linfield baseball splits Saturday double header

Freshman+Gavin+Ludlow+threw+one+strikeout+in+his+collegiate+debut.+

Nathan Herde

Freshman Gavin Ludlow threw one strikeout in his collegiate debut.

Maddie Loverich, Sports Editor

Linfield baseball split a double header with Pacific Lutheran University on Saturday afternoon, dropping the first 10-2 and winning the second 3-2. 

The Lutes bested the Wildcats 14-4 in the first game of the non-conference series Friday night and the teams are set to square off in one final game on Sunday.

Game one 

Freshman Mike LaVigne had a big offensive showing for the ‘Cats, going 3 for 4 at the plate. Senior Wyatt Smith also hit well, going 2 for 4 with one RBI. The two accounted for five out of seven of the Wildcat’s total hits, with junior Chase Elliot and fifth year Levi Horner-Villa each adding one more in the first game. 

PLU racked up 16 hits, including three home runs and two doubles. 

Lute sophomore Cole Trotignon knocked in the first run of the game with a single to left field. A double and a single followed to bring the Lutes to 3-0. 

Smith answered with a double in the bottom of the inning to drive in the first run of the game for the Wildcats.  

Trotignon brought in two more runs for the Lutes in the top of the third inning with a deep homer, completely clearing the train tracks outside the left field fence at Roy Helser Field. 

PLU sophomores Ashton Barton and Sean Kauffman followed suit in the next inning with almost identical back-to-back solo home runs, bringing the score to 7-1. Senior shortstop Tanner Jacques turned a double play to end the rally for the Lutes. 

A big fifth inning for the Lutes brought in three runs on five hits to make the score 10-1. 

With runners on first and third in the bottom of the sixth, junior Chase Elliot singled to center field to add one final run for the ‘Cats, ending the game at 10-2. 

Junior Tommy Snyder got the win for the Lutes on the mound, racking up eight strikeouts in six innings.

Game two 

Linfield turned it around in game two, capitalizing on well-timed hits, errors and a homerun from Horner-Villa in the first three innings to jump ahead 3-0.  

PLU answered in the top of the fifth, scoring two more to shrink Linfield’s lead to 3-2. 

A single from senior Tanner Earheart and a double by sophomore Jackson Horner put runners on second and third for the Wildcats in the sixth, but both were left on base after the next two hitters struck out swinging. 

Freshman Gage Mack got the win in his first collegiate start, striking out three and holding the Lutes to five hits in four innings. 

Sophomore Andrew Del Biaggo got the save for the ‘Cats, allowing two runs in fifth inning but successfully protecting the lead in the game’s final three innings. 

It was Linfield’s first win of the season, bring their record to 1-2.

The Wildcats will face the Lutes one final time in a noon game on Sunday. Spectators will not be allowed due to COVID-19 protocols, but the game will be streamed on the Linfield Athletics website.