Campus COVID-19 update: Jan. 28

Maddie Loverich, Sports Editor

On Wednesday afternoon, Dean of Students Jeff Mackay sent an email to Linfield’s McMinnville campus warning of elevated numbers of COVID-19 cases. As of Jan. 27, there are 16 total cases on campus since the beginning of the semester, compared to 18 cumulative cases during the entire fall semester. 

Yamhill County remains in the high-risk level, meaning every 14 days there are over 200 new cases per 100,000 residents. A majority of Oregon’s counties (26) are in this classification, which means tighter restrictions on businesses and gatherings. 

Mackay’s email also reminded students to follow updated guidelines to keep the spread minimal and in-person classes in session. “We must keep the Linfield bubble protected and we are all in this together,” he wrote. 

These guidelines include continued mask wearing indoors and outdoors, with the exception of in your own dorm room or apartment. It also urged students to keep their “family unit” to just roommates and to wear a mask and distance when in the presence of anyone outside of that unit. 

The list also included reminders to avoid eating or riding in a car with anyone outside of their unit. If you must be in the same car, the list recommends to wear two masks, roll down the windows and sit as far apart as possible from others in the vehicle. 

If you aren’t feeling well or came into close contact with a COVID-infected person, contact the Student Health, Wellness and Counseling Center. The CDC defines close contact as being within six feet of an infected person for 15 minutes or longer in a 24 hour period. 

When applicable, infected or exposed students will be directed to the quarantine area, but it’s unclear at the moment what will happen when those spaces are exhausted.