Cats’ Crowned Champions

Photo Courtesy of Kelly Bird

The Wildcats join together to take a photograph in celebration of winning the Northwest Conference

Chase Whittaker, Sports Editor

A brisk Saturday evening turned into a hectic night for the Wildcats men’s basketball team as they won the Northwest Conference with a big win over Whitworth University.

The Ted Wilson Gymnasium was packed with students standing shoulder to shoulder with each other all the way from the first row back to the last. Cheers echoed as three-pointers swooshed into the net or when a Wildcat defender jumped up to block an opposing Pirate, the gymnasium was electrifying.

While this night was momentous for the entire team, the Wildcat seniors, Austin Hilton, Grant Gibb, Tanner Autencio, and Aiden Phizackerly ended their conference careers on the best note they possibly could.

Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Prior to the game, Senior Grant Gibb is joined by his family to be honored by head coach Shanan Rosenberg.
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
The Wildcat student section erupts as the game begins.
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Senior Austin Hilton (#35) dives for a loose ball.
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Freshman Carson Bonine (#10) comes off a screen from Austin Hilton (#35).
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Senior Grant Gibb (#15) leaps to block the Whitworth guard going in for a layup.
 Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Junior Max Lommen (#14) slips past his defender to drive to the basket.
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Junior Will Burghardt glides through two defenders to get to the basket.
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Head Coach Shanan Rosenberg instructs his team in the closing minutes of the game.
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Senior Grant Gibb celebrates the 91-80 win over Whitworth University to clinch the title.
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Junior Dempsey Roggenbuck amps up the crowd after the final buzzer sounds.
 Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Senior Tanner Autencio celebrates the title by cutting the game net to keep as a memento.
Courtesy of Kelly Bird
Shanan Rosenberg hoists up the Northwest Conference title belt in celebration of Whitworth’s defeat.