Wildcats amount eight honors

Cale Byers

Anne Ferguson, ‘19, jolting of the line for the 800-meter.

Alex Jensen, Sports Editor

The stands and fields were full of athletes, coaches, and fans on Saturday during Linfield’s Jenn Boyman Memorial Invitational. Fourteen colleges and a number of non-collegiate organizations competed. 

The Wildcats claimed eight firsts, three seconds, and three third places. 

The freshman on the track and field team made their mark at the meet holding four out of the eight first places. Dallin Buck leapt 22 feet, ¼ inches in the men’s long jump earning him a first place. He also placed fourth in the triple jump distancing 41 feet, ½ inches. 

Freshman Matt Metcalf surpassed his opponents throwing 186 feet, 5 inches in men’s javelin, which is 11 feet more than his second-place competitor.  

Freshman Ronan Krutzikowsky placed first in the men’s 400 hurdles with a time of 58.68 seconds, also he finished sixth in the pole vault with a best of 12 feet, 11 inches. Ani Keliiheleua, a freshman, earned a personal best in the women’s 100-meter hurdles finishing in 15.98 seconds.

Sophomore Jonathan Sedy won the men’s triple jump leaping 41 feet, 11 ½ inches.

Senior Cody Mitchell eclipsed his personal best in shot put, winning with a toss of 49 feet, 2 ¼ inches. He also placed sixth in the discus throwing a distance of 135 feet, 3 inches.

“It’s nice that things are starting to click,” Mitchell said about his personal best. Mitchell’s excited to see what the team is capable of in the next few weeks of the season.

Olivia McDaniel, a senior, recorded the second-best pole vault clearance in the NCAA Division III outdoor season with a height of 12 feet, 6 inches. McDaniel also finished fifth in the long jump with 16 feet, 7 inches. 

“I felt like it was a great start to my outdoor season,” McDaniel said about her finish. “I still have a lot of technique work I need to do with my vault, but I plan on jumping some big heights here soon.” McDaniel’s 12-6 vault secured her a spot at the nationals in May. 

Senior Mehana Sabado-Halpern placed first in the women’s long jump going a distance of 17 feet, 4 ½ inches. 

Track and field travel next to the Pacific Luau Invitation on April 13.