Tennis chases Boxers out

Elsa++Harris%2C+%E2%80%9819%2C+serving+to+Pacific+Boxers+Halie+Changwon.+

Cale Byers

Elsa Harris, ‘19, serving to Pacific Boxers Halie Changwon.

Alexandra Feller, Features Editor

Wildcats knock out the boxers in Saturday’s home game. Singles and doubles teams effortlessly scored on Pacific putting the final score at 9-0.

This match maintains their Northwest conference standing 4-0, moving them to 11-2 overall. The team is first in the conference and continues to win.

First doubles pair sophomores Michelle Uyeda and seniors Elsa Harris swept their match 8-0 against the Boxers Marissa Hayashi and Chantelle Baclay. 

“Winning at home yesterday was awesome,” Harris said. “We played with great focus and efficiency ad cheered for each other with a lot of energy.” 

Second-seeded doubles team, freshman Tessa Kern and junior Riley Clayeux also won their match 8-0. Their competitors, Halie Chang, and Johanna Wilson hitting the ball into the net more than across the court. It was hard for Linfield players to get a rally going. 

Third-seeded doubles match took a while to finish up, but junior Michelle Ly and sophomore Haley Fujimori pulled through with a win 8-1. 

The players charged into their singles matches with the same attitude as doubles. For Uyeda, it was her eighth singles win in a row. 

Junior Alysse Nakasato, number three singles player lost her first set, 5-7. But she won the match overall scoring 6-0 in the second set and 10-5 in the last.

Harris positioned at number two dominated in her singles matches as well. The score in her first set was 6-1, and in her second she scored 6-3.

“We had a good show of spectators which is always fun,” Harris said. President Miles Davis and his family came to cheer on the players, as well as a few alumni who were there for the Spring block party.

Players are motivated for the upcoming games after doing well this weekend. They are set to play Lewis & Clark at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 13.