ASLC to fund computers for new Riley lounge

Hannah Curry, Staff writer

Students who walk into Riley Hall may notice a large tarp covering the old bookstore, which started getting renovated during spring break to become a new lounge.

Construction is expected to continue through early May.

Down the hall from the old bookstore lies Fred Meyer Lounge, a lounge area with couches and chairs just outside of Starbucks for students to study or meet with friends.

The new lounge will have just that, but also computer access for students to send a quick email or print on their way to class.

“The cabinet felt that campus was missing an area where students could quickly hop on a computer before class,” Student Center Director Michael Sheldon said.

“Our plan is to have computers with 20-30 minute timers on them located in the lounge.”

ASLC is waiting on the budget and who’s responsible for the cost of the lounge before any planning is done or decisions are made regarding what it will look like other than the current plan of couches, chairs, whiteboards and computers.

“The reason that ASLC doesn’t have a plan as of now is because we haven’t decided who will bear the cost for the student lounge project; the college or ASLC,” ASLC President Tenzin Yangchen said.

Along with the lounge, the Campus Information Center down the hall is being opened up to “create visual interest for Linfield students and guests,” according to Director of Facilities Allison Horn. The two projects are happening simultaneously.