ASLC addresses new study spaces in first meeting back from break

Elin Johnson, Staff writer

The Associated Students of Linfield College senate members are back at work following spring break. The meeting this week discussed the changes coming to the Linfield community both this semester and next.

ASLC Vice President Alleta Maier opened by describing her meeting with Vice President of Student Affairs and Athletics Susan Hopp. Hopp is also the Dean of Students. The two discussed the potential of giving students 24 hour swipe access to TJ Day hall. This move was proposed to provide students with more study spaces on campus.

Hopp and Maier discussed the possibility of opening solely the bottom floor of TJ Day hall. It would be used as a group study space.

However, there may be another space available on campus to become a 24 hour swipe accessible study space. The new student lounge in Riley hall may fill this position. The lounge is under construction and is located where the textbook rentals side of the book store used to be.

“I’d be shocked if Riley didn’t become a 24 hour lounge space,” said ASLC adviser and Director of College Activities Dan Fergueson.

Fergueson was optimistic about the lounges in Riley becoming available to students with 24 hour swipe access. Fergueson also described some aspects of the new lounge. The drop ceiling will be taken out and replaced with a wood slatted ceiling. It will match the design of the new CIC space.

The CIC will still operate the same after the remodel. The updated CIC room will be more open to students walking by. The CIC is closed for the renovations. Signing up for events will take place in the ASLC offices on the second floor of Riley.

Fergueson also said that ASLC will be hiring more positions following the establishment of the new ASLC cabinet.

Cat Cab will be replaced with Linfield’s Got Talent at 7 p.m. Thursday in Ice. The Wildstock artist will be announced at the event. The 2017 film Jumanji will play in Ice at 9 p.m. Saturday.

Archery tag begins on Monday, April 9. Registration is open now on imleagues.com.

As always, ASLC senate meetings are 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday. The meetings are open to the public. Paper agendas are provided at each meeting.