Wildcats earn secondary honors at George Fox invitational

Fiona Kelley

Freshman Juliet Arnswald jumping a hurdle in Erik Anderson Memorial Icebreaker.

Alex Jensen, Sports Editor

The Wildcats men’s and women’s track and field teams earned secondary honors at the Rich Allen Classic on Saturday. The women’s team finished the night with 203 points and the men’s team pulled together 110 points. George Fox won the meet earning 307 points on the women’s side and 293 points on the men’s.

The ’Cats took the top three places in the women’s 5000-meters. Senior Kaelia Neal came in first with 17 minutes and 30.24 seconds. Senior Emma Knudson was right on Neal’s heals crossing the line 2.49 seconds later. And another 4.91 seconds later, junior Courtney Beard came in allowing the ’Cats to sweep the event.

The women took turns leading each lap to push themselves to fourth, fifth and sixth place in Linfield program history in the 5000m.

The Wildcats took top and secondary honors in the women’s shot put. Sophomore Josie Knight placed first throwing a distance of 35 feet and 9.25 inches. Freshman Rachael Brockamp followed in second throwing a distance of 34 feet and 10.5 inches.

Jeff Lieder had a tremendous meet earning top honors in the shot-put throwing 47 feet 9.25 inches and placing second in the discus throwing 134 feet 7 inches. He said that the small meet was a great way to get a little competition between conference contenders.

“Throw far. Nothing else,” is thing that goes through Lieder’s head while throwing.

Senior Kailey Wright took two first places in the women’s discus throwing 122 feet 2 inches and in the hammer with 135 feet 5 inches. Sophomore MaKenzie Mize threw a distance of 111 feet 9 inches earning her third place in the discus.

Senior Jeff Lee placed second in the men’s 5000m with 15:51.52.

Senior Jaime Rodden took second in the women’s 1500m with 5:00.42. She also placed fourth in the 800m with 2:28.2.

“I felt really strong and in control throughout the whole race [1500m] and tried to have fun with it. I had enough left to pick it up on the third lap, which allowed me to have a pretty decent kick in the last 200m,” Rodden said. “I am excited to use that race as a stepping stone for a big PR in the near future.”

Other secondary honors for the Wildcats came from freshman Meg Angier in the women’s pole vault sorrowing 10 feet 8.25 inches. She is ranked ninth all-time in the event. Other second place finishers were Freshman Juliet Arnswald in the women’s 400m hurdles with 1:15.04 minutes and sophomore Dana Brooks in the women’s javelin throwing 125 feet 5 inches.

Freshman Desirae DesRosiers had an outstanding meet. First she led the ’Cats pack in the 200m coming in second place with 27.03 seconds. She also earned fourth in both the 100m hurdle with 16.95 seconds and in the long jump going a distance of 16 feet 1/20 inches.

In the women’s 200m the ’Cats lined the board second through seventh. Junior Taylor Peterson followed behind DesRosiers .82 seconds later earning her third place.
Senior Taylor Vicknair took second in the men’s 400m Hurdle with 58.35 seconds and third in the 110m hurdle with 16.03 seconds.

The men’s 4×400 relay team placed seconds just under George Fox with a time of 3:41.01 seconds. The team was made up by Brian Douglas, Travis Crockett, Vicknair and Jonathan Irby.
Freshman Keaton Wood reached the Northwest Conference qualifying standard with his two third place finishes in the 200m with 22.92 seconds and the javelin 170 feet 6 inches. It was Wood’s first time competing the javelin.

Senior Ryne Fuhrmark placed third in the shot-put with 43 feet and 2.5 inches, along with junior Tiffany Wall in the women’s high jump getting a height of 4 feet 9.5 inches.
A handful of Wildcats will compete at Westmont Multi-Events 10 a.m. Thursday, March 22 in Santa Barbara, Calif. Others will compete at the Willamette Invitational Saturday, March 24.