Wildcats have match, team successes

Braelyn Swan, Staff writer

Linfield women’s tennis team faced Whitman and Whitworth this weekend in the Rutschman Field House. Linfield walked away from both matches with team wins and match wins.
In Saturday’s match against Whitman, Linfield took five wins from singles matches and 3 wins from doubles matches. Singles wins for Linfield were taken by senior Ella Riddle, freshman Michelle Uyeda, sophomore Riley Clayeux, senior Marisa Doveri, and freshman Haley Fugimori.
Double wins came from teams Riddle and senior Basia Kopecka, junior Elsa Harris and Uyeda, and Cayeux and Fugimori. The final score for the women’s team was Linfield 8-1.
Sophomore Jessie Vezo said, “Whitman has been the best in our conference for while and they beat us in the conference tournament last year but this weekend we beat them 8-1 which was a really big victory for us and a great way to start the season.”
In Sunday’s match against Whitworth, Linfield women won all of their singles and doubles.
Singles wins came from Riddle, Uyeda, sophomore Alysse Nakasato, sophomore Kelsey Bartlett, Vezo, and sophomore Sarah Sweet.
Doubles wins came from teams Riddle and Kopecka, Clayeux and Fugimori, and Senior Marisa Doveri and sophomore Michelle Ly. The final score against Whitworth was Linfield 9-0.

“This weekend showed how strong and deep the team is this season. Super pumped for our next matches in California,” Harris said.

The Wildcats travel to California this coming weekend to compete against Caltech on March 10 and Trinity on March 12.