Women’s soccer ends losing streak

Alex Jensen, Sports Editor

The Wildcats ended their three-game losing streak Sunday. Linfield triumphed over the Lewis and Clark Pio’s on Sunday winning 3-0 but lost to the Willamette Bearcats 0-2 on Saturday.

The ‘Cats came out strong against the Pio’s determined to end their losing streak. With Linfield hovering right over Lewis and Clark in NWC conference ranking they knew that they could not lose to them.

Freshman Desirae DesRosiers scored her first collegiate goals against the Pio’s. She shot the ball just inside the goal box after any assist by Natalie Amara at 32:07 on the clock.

Before the half was up DesRosiers got another in. She dribbled the ball in and shot. The ball ricocheted into the goal. The Wildcats had any early 2-0 lead.

DesRosiers said that it was really rewarding to get her first collegiate goals and to see how her hard work has paid off.

“I think this game felt high intensity and I am proud that my team was able keep that up. It was a well-earned, and needed, win for the team to get our heads back up,” DesRosiers said.

In the second half Freshman Michayla Sponsel got a free kick from halfway up the field. Bringing the Wildcats to a comfy 3-0 lead at with 63:44 on the clock.

The Wildcats then content with their lead focused more on shutting out the Pio’s.

“Today’s [Sunday] game proved that our loses don’t define us. We did what we were supposed to and capitalized on our chances. Looking forward to finishing the season off strong,” Amara said.

Freshman Maddie Reimer was still in the goal replacing Junior Sarah Bailey, who head coach Cole McCool said was going through a rough patch. Reimer had two saves for the game.

Saturday was a different story for the Wildcats where they were unable to convert any of their eight shots into a goal. On the other hand, the Bearcats who also had eight shots were able to get two in the goal.

Next weekend the Wildcats are home against the George Fox Bruins noon on Saturday. Sunday the ‘Cats are away against the Pacific University Boxers at noon in Portland.