Volleyball starts season with a triple win

Dustin Lau

A ‘Cat goes to hit the ball. Linfield goes 3-0 in the Oregon Trail Classic.

Alex Jensen, Sports Editor

Wildcats Volleyball starting off the season as a triple threat after going 3-0 in the Oregon Trail Classic.

The team traveled Friday night to Newberg where they destroyed Olivet College Comets, winning 3 to 1 in sets.

Saturday the Wildcats were back at home in the Ted Wilson Gymnasium, with back to back matches against the Schreiner University Mountaineers and the University of Montana Western Bulldogs.

“It was great to compete and I am beyond proud at how we did; we fought, had grit and never quit. That’s what it is all about…that and playing as one. I think this outstanding group of girls embodies just that and I’m excited for what this season holds,” said Taylor Petersen, ’19.

The Wildcats shutout the Mountaineers, winning all three sets to win the match.

The ‘Cats came out strong, only letting the mountaineers gain seven points. The Wildcats totaled 40 kills, 38 assists and 39 defensive digs for the match.

Eryka Keoho, ’18, was a large contributor on attack with 10 kills. Destyni Grace, ’21, was a huge asset with 14 assists and Kayla Magbaleta, ’19, scooped up 16 digs.

“We all played together as a team which showed on the court and the reason we got those wins,” Keoho said. “It was a very good experience for the freshmen to see what Linfield College volleyball is about.

“We all have to keep working hard every day because there is always room for improvement.”

In the last match of the night against the Bulldogs, the Wildcats came out on top after five intense sets ending the match 3-2, needing to go to a fifth set.

The Bulldogs came out hard, winning the first set 17-25, but the Wildcats retaliated, crushing the next two sets both 25-17.

But the Bulldogs said no to the ‘Cats in the fourth set, coming back out on top 25-15.

In the fifth set, the Wildcats re-emerged as champs, winning 15-11 after an attack error by the Bulldogs and a ‘Cats block by Keoho and Petersen.

Coming off these wins, Keoho said, “We are all going to have positive attitudes going into the season.”

“We are all one team and we are all on the same page when it comes to mindset and having the mentality to win,” Magbaleta said.

“We all understand our roles on the team and we know that without each and every single person on the team, we wouldn’t be able to succeed which is something…I stongly believe we demonstrated on the court this weekend.”

Next, the Wildcats travel to St. Paul, Minnesota to compete in the Macalester Invitational on September 8 and 9.