New women’s basketball coach brings experience, passion to Linfield

Ross Passeck, Sports editor

It is a new season for the Women’s Basketball team with upperclassmen veterans and newly-welcomed freshman taking the court.

The new season has brought more to the team than another opportunity to compete for the Wildcats as Casey Bunn will be taking over as head coach.

Coach Bunn is a tried and true veteran within the world of basketball.

Bunn’s stellar career began in high school as a record setting player, leading her team to multiple league championships.

Naturally her remarkable high school career transi- tioned to the collegiate level at Oregon State University and eventually the professional level in Europe.

Her passion for basketball remained alive and thriving after her career as a player, co-founding the Jr. Energy youth basketball program in the Portland area and coaching at the high school level for a total of five seasons.

Coach Bunn’s collegiate career will without doubt give her an edge in her first year of coaching at Linfield.

“I was extremely fortunate during my playing years, both collegiately and professionally, to get a variety of different coaches with different styles, philosophies and different approaches or mentalities towards the game … it has been extremely helpful to pull from those experiences as a coach. It’s amazing what you can learn from your teammates as well,” Bunn said.

Even with her vast wealth of experience and knowledge Bunn acknowledges that for the Wildcats to be successful she must strive to adapt with the game.

“Basketball is always evolving, so it is important for me to continue to learn new things whether it is new technology being used or different defense schemes, new ways to get the most out of each one of my players, it’s important for me to stay up to date so I am able to put my team in the best position to be successful,” Bunn said.

Beyond the technical realm of coaching basketball Bunn is excited to work with the ‘Cats this year and appreciates the talent and tenacity these women bring to the team.

“I am really excited about working with the talent we have in this program. They are extremely hard working and are eager to learn. They are a good group of girls and fun to be around … I see former teammates in a lot of my current players,” Bunn said.

Coach Bunn will have another shot at expanding her impressive resume with the ‘Cats this year. This upcoming season will show how this basketball veteran tackles a new experience.