Student section needs to turn up at football games

Ross Passeck, For the Review

Linfield’s student section needs to turn up. Whether it is the newfound colloquial meaning of this phrase, turning up the volume or literally turning up to attend the game, all are equally welcomed. The current attendance for the student section at football games is relatively dismal. There is a vacuum at the end zone where a horde of cheering students should be and the lack of adrenaline is felt in the air.
It is understandable that Linfield is a considerably smaller school than that of the football juggernaut state schools, however that does not mean that the students should not be the dominating voice at each and every football game. The stands may not be the same size of a cathedral-like stadium but while seats are sacrificed the one thing that can never be downsized is spirit.
Amongst the 50,000 fans at an Oregon Ducks game the crowd is reduced to a deafening roar, while at the Catdome the cheers and pride of the students will be distinguishable and amplified across the entire field. This is Linfield’s advantage: being able to come together as a unique student body to properly represent the school and root for the beloved Wildcats, rather than becoming an amorphous stadium of yells.
Linfield students have the opportunity to turn the Catdome into the Autzen of Division three football, if only they would stand amongst their peers at the end zone and unite. It is a genuinely cathartic and enjoyable experience to come together to be beautifully belligerent and cheer to the heart’s content for the ’Cats. Students would be an opposing force to any team that attempts to score against the ‘Cats’ defense or a magnetic force pulling the ‘Cats’ offense all the way to the end zone.
Rhythmic chants and ridiculous volumes must radiate from the student section like never before. Even if the weather is bitingly cold a huddled mass of pure team spirit will keep the entire field white hot. After all the ‘Cats do have a reputation for magnificent blowout victories that only make insane intensity in the stands entirely justified. It is a fantastic thing when everyone’s hearts are beating to the same rhythm and pumping the same cardinal and purple blood through their veins.
It is not a sacrifice to contribute to this crowd, it is an opportunity to be a part of something pure and invigorating. The stands are there. They have been built. Now it is the students’ time to come and support their team.

Ross Passeck can be reached at [email protected]

Note: Opinion columns are signed opinion pieces meant to generate campus-wide discussions about topics. They are usually written by students, but they may also be written by faculty, administrators or readers. These signed opinion columns are the opinions of the authors and do not reflect the opinions of TLR, ASLC or Linfield College.