Men’s golf gets new blood for the fall season

Ross Passeck, For the Review

As this year’s seniors entered their final year of golfing for Linfield they were met with a sizeable freshman class. Fortunately the size of this incoming class paled in comparison to the talent they brought to the program.
“This class had the potential to be compared to some of my best freshmen classes since I took over the team in 2001,” Coach Greg Copeland, said. Though what was particularly distinguishable about this season was the quality of veteran talent that accompanied these freshmen.  The seniors in particular had left a mark on Linfield’s golf program.
“This year’s senior class was also one of my best freshmen classes so the potential for a great year was a real possibility,” Copeland said.
One of the seniors that helped embrace and develop these freshmen had multiple tournament wins under his belt. He also took pride in a spot on the Academic All-American team last year. Taylor Klopp had valuable insight into what it meant to be a freshman on this team.
“From high school to college was a huge transition, just lifestyle wise, so I struggled my freshman year in the fall and I didn’t contribute until the spring. It was overwhelming as a freshman but over the winter I really had time to digest what college golf was all about,” Klopp said.
Klopp’s experience as a freshman certainly aided him in being a leader as a senior. Even Klopp was following in another great golfer’s shoes.
“Having a role model definitely helps, and as a senior that was what I was trying to do,” Klopp said.
The overarching consensus from seniors, freshman, and the coach was that this team had excellent chemistry.
“All the freshmen on the team, we all gelled together really well. I think that we fit in with the older kids pretty well also,” freshman Logan Davis said. Team chemistry was vital as competition for spots, especially with so many talented players, was fierce.
“I think the team chemistry will be strengthened by the competition, not hurt by it,” Copeland said.
With the team’s chemistry and caliber of talent there was good reason for expectations to be set high for this season. Every member of the team was a contributor in one way or another
“There were probably 12 people on the roster that could have been in the top five [to travel] any given day,” Davis said. Expectations matched the abilities of this team. “I’m increasing my expectations every day,” Copeland said. A conference title was certainly in the cross hairs of every member of the program. “As a team there was no reason that we couldn’t win the conference championship,” Davis said.