Students to present findings at upcoming PLACE lecture

Kaylyn Peterson/For the Review

Linfield wraps up the topic of war after two years in a final PLACE event with student-lead talks.

Spanning disciplines, the PLACE program has students thinking inside and outside of the classroom. History courses have been combined with Spanish courses, mass communication has mixed with art, and so on.

Now, as the two-year topic is brought to a close, students will give presentations from their “Legacies of War”-themed class.

“Legacies of War and the Liberal Arts: Learning from Difference” will be held at 4:30 p.m. May 19 in Ice Auditorium.

One group chosen for the PLACE event was from assistant professor of religion David Fiordalis’s Tibetan Buddhism class. Fiordalis is also co-chair of the religious studies department.

Senior Steven Crowder and juniors Laura Lichti and Megan Hadley were selected by Fiordalis out of all the groups in the class for their presentation on Tibetan self-immolations.

“Tibetan self-immolations are a response to the systematic oppression of the Tibetan people and their culture by the Chinese government,” Lichti said.

“The theme of PLACE is legacies of war, and these acts are an example of such legacies,” Lichti said.

Students from Associate Professor of English Reshmi Dutt-Ballerstadt’s 9/11 literature class will also present at the previously mentioned “Legacies of War and the Liberal Arts: Learning from Difference” lecture on May 19.

The class will hold a reflection on the week that they are putting on: “Repercussions of 9/11 and the War on Terror.”

The reflection will be at 4:30 p.m. May 20, in T.J. Day 219.

During May 14-20 there will be visual and interactive art on the Linfield campus that demonstrates the after-math of events that occurred on September 11, 2001.

For more information, please contact Patrick Cottrell in the political science department.

Kaylyn Peterson can be reached at [email protected]