Women’s tennis racks up wins at weekend matches

Mikenna Whatley, Features Editor

The Linfield women’s tennis team came away with three glorious victories this week: Wednesday against Willamette, 8-1, Friday against Pacific, 9-0, and Saturday against Pacific Lutheran 8-1.

Freshman Mackenzie Fraser felt very proud to be a Wildcat after Wednesday’s match against Willamette.

“Even though we lost our doubles match, we turned it around and came back to win in singles,” said Fraser, “which shows how mentally tough of a team we are.” Still on a high from Wednesday’s win, the Linfield Women’s Tennis team pulled off their first conference match sweep of the season in their match on Friday against Pacific.

“We have all been working hard to improve our games and it was awesome to solidify that during our match up against Pacific,” said Junior Kaila Nip. “Everyone played well and it was awesome to play outside in the good weather.”

With confidence levels through the roof as the team felt the full results of their long hard weeks of training paying off, the team pulled out yet another win Saturday against Pacific Lutheran University. This win secures the team one of the four spots in the Conference Tournament.

Kelly Watanabe was back playing in singles for the first time in several weeks since her injury and dominated her opponent 6-2, 6-3.

“Overall, the team battled through some close matches today and pulled out one of our best wins of the season,” said Senior Caroline Brigham.

The team hopes to keep competing well through to next weekend when they play Whitman and Whitworth at Linfield’s home courts.