Renovations continue as part of Strategic Plan

Rosa Johnson, Managing Editor

Construction cones will be on campus while most students and faculty are away this upcoming summer.

A 15-week project in Melrose Hall and Walker Hall to strategically locate departments, partial renovations  will begin this summer, according to the  Director of Facilities and Auxiliary Services, Allison Horn.

“In alignment with the 2012-2018 Strategic Plan and the Strategic Facilities Guide, the partial renovation projects in Melrose Hall and Walker Hall are intended to revitalize the student experience and maximize efficient coordination between service processes to support students,” Horn wrote in an email.

The renovations will require some departments to temporarily relocate in order to accommodate the lower level in Melrose Hall based on student services and the International Center in Walker Hall, according to Horn.

The first floor of Walker Hall will be partially renovated to create a large suite to serve as an International Center accommodating both the Political Science department, as well as International Programs Office.  The Sociology, Anthropology and Modern Languages departments will be moved to the second floor of the building, according to Horn.

The Anthropology Museum will become a distributed museum with display cases throughout the ground floor atrium areas instead of in a small room adjacent to the elevator, according to Horn.

In addition to mechanical system upgrades, exterior work at the east entrance, accessibility upgrades to restrooms and some seismic improvements. The lower level of Melrose Hall will be designed to create purposeful adjacencies that improve staff effectiveness and provide for easier access by students, faculty and the community, according to Horn.

“Ultimately the 2012-2018 Strategic Plan and Strategic Facilities Guide focuses on how to make our college better for our students.  The partial renovation projects in Melrose Hall and Walker Hall demonstrate that the college is invested in student success and focused on the student experience,” Horn wrote in an email. “Linfield’s effectiveness relies on our structures, our processes and our programs of study.  Academic excellence requires the highest feasible level of support to our students, a strategic focus on the allocation of resources, and the continuation of a sustainable financial model that most effectively deploys the College’s resources.”