Understanding feminism is vital for gender equity

Recently an article has been floating around the internet addressing the idea of “female privilege,” or the idea that women do not understand certain things because our society gives them privileges that men do not have.

The article has received a substantial amount of backlash for it’s sexist and downright ridiculous statements.

I am, in fact, experiencing female privilege right now by expressing my opinion and not being labeled  “a butthurt fedora-wearing neckbeard who can’t get any.”

A common and frequently used insult I suppose, I’m not sure because, you know, female privilege.

The 18-point list often leans toward the worthless ramblings of a frustrated individual, but at times it illustrates a trend in our society: the idea that men have to demonstrate hyper-masculine traits at all times.

A few of the bullets touch on the subject that men need to be tough and not show emotion at any time, and that this is something women either don’t understand or are forcing upon them.

Number eight states “Female privilege is never being told to “take it like a man” or “man up.”’

The notion that males need to “man up” in certain situations is a completely backwards way of thinking.

Most people in our society wouldn’t take issue with the idea of telling a guy to “man up,” but it’s subtle acts of sexism like this that allow a long system of inequality and gender-bias to thrive.

Feminism and being a feminist has often seen with a negative connotation in our society.

Linfield’s Gender Equity Week did an amazing job of making the issues of feminism personal to individuals on campus and bringing up what feminism is and why we practice it.

Famous female figures have said they weren’t feminists for fear of being “too harsh,” sounding like they are “complaining,” or, best yet, because they “love men.”

The women saying these things: artists like Madonna, Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson and Taylor Swift.

Feminism is not an issue of complaining until women are recognized as being superior to men and not needing them and eventually taking over the world.

Feminism is the idea that genders are equal to each other and that everyone deserves the same level of respect, which I believe is an idea we can all get behind.

In my opinion, feminism does not solely apply to females and the societal issues they face.

It encompasses this idea of the masculine male who never shows emotions, never feels weak or afraid or overwhelmed, and is always in control.

The less we understand what feminism really is, the more often we will experience the likes of Mark Saunders and other men frustrated with the norms and expectations of a society that forces limitations on them.

Instead of blaming each other for the way things are, we need to start talking about why this gender binary exists and how individuals can work to end it.

Olivia Marovich

News editor 

Olivia Marovich can be reached at [email protected]