Feminist voices perspective of film industry

On the rise triple threat, Lake Bell showcases herself as an actress, director and writer of “In a World.”

This lighthearted comedy is about Carol Solomon, played by Bell, who is a freelance vocal coach trying to break into the male-dominated realm of voice-overs for Hollywood film trailers.

Bell opens the film with archive footage of Don LaFontaine, legendary voice-over artist who died in 2008 but left big shoes to fill.

Carol’s narcissistic father, Sam Soto, played by Fred Melamed, also in the voice-over industry has established himself as the shoe-filler and expected successor of LaFontaine.

Carol is underachieving but we can see this comes from her father, who has time and time again belittled her goals of becoming a female movie trailer vocal spokesperson.

Sam undermines his daughter’s talents and encourages her to stick to vocal coaching and accents.

“The industry does not crave a female sound,” Sam bluntly says to his daughter.

On top of this, instead of coaching Carol, he feels he has given her everything he can and in spite of his daughter’s dreams, he takes on an upcoming voice-over artist, Gustav Warner, as his next protégé.

Despite her lack of support from her dad, Carol receives support from her sister and brother-in-law, as well as the encouragement from the studio soundboard engineer, who has been crushing on her for quite some time.

Carol lands the gig Gustav had been prepping for and out of spite; Sam makes a few calls to the producers to consider him for the role as well.

Carol finds herself going up against not only her cold and unsupportive father, but also the pompous Gustav.

This creates a lot of tension between Carol and her father but also between her father and Gustav.

The film has a multitude of likable elements from the many eccentric characters, to the clever comedy that gives more than just a few laughs but insight as well.

Bell has created a funny, charming, quirky role for herself which is a growing trend for many Hollywood actresses, who quite frankly are tired of playing the same marginalized female roles.

Actress such as Rashida Jones, Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling, Emma Thompson, and many more have also taken it upon themselves to create their own roles.

Bell’s script won her the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. I can’t wait to see what future endeavors Lake Bell puts together next.

Special Lovincey / Columnist

Special          Lovincey      can                 be                   reached        at
[email protected].