Questioning American superiority

Rosa Johnson, Managing Editor

America is thought to be future-driven and a melting pot of culture. Some Americans’ views have held this country at a superior state above other countries, but that is all starting to change.

Bestselling author and professor of international relations and history at Boston University, Andrew Bacevich, will speak on “The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism” at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 13 in Ice Auditorium.

Bacevich graduated from the U.S. Military Academy, and served in Vietnam, Germany and the Persian Gulf and retired from the army as a colonel. As a leading expert on American national security policy, Bacevich will illustrate how previous administrations, reflecting back to as late as the end of World War II with suggestions on how to reverse our current path.

Bacevich has published the bestseller book, “Washington Rules: America’s Path to Permanent War,” which is a critique of the country’s military industrial complex. Bacevich has also written other books called “The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism,” and “Breach of Trust: How Americans Failed Their Soldiers and Their Country,” with subject matter on America’s soldiers and the society that sends them off to war.

Bacevich is also the author of “The Long War: A New History of U.S. National Security Policy Since World War II,” “The New American Militarism: How Americans Are Seduced by War” and “American Empire: The Realities and Consequences of U.S. Diplomacy.”

Bacevich received his Ph.D. in American diplomatic history from Princeton University. Currently Bacevich works at Boston University, before that he taught at West Point and Johns Hopkins University.

Bacevich’s lecture, “The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism” is free and open to the public. The event is sponsored by Linfield’s Edith Green Lectureship and Program for Liberal Arts and Civic Engagement. For more information, contact Patrick Cottrell at [email protected].