Soulful breakup album dumps norms

Breakups are hard to go through. John Newman’s debut album “Tribute” is a breakup album that can help ease the heartache.

Newman is an English singer and songwriter. “Tribute” has influences from pop, breakbeats, hip hop and house music. The album has a feel from the ‘60s and ‘70s. It does lack variety in instrumentation. Majority of the songs focus solely on the use of piano or strings.

On the first track of the album, Newman lists off artists in which he is paying tribute to, including Tina Turner, Kings of Leon and even Britney Spears.

His vocals are definitely the highlight of the album. In the lead single “Love me again,” the song begins with simple chords and Newman’s distinct vocal quality. The chorus is full of hip-swinging soul and gets the listeners’ body moving. The song is about someone who is seeking forgiveness and just wants to know if they can be a relationship full of love again. This track is the standout of the album.

In the track “Losing sleep,” Newman doesn’t miss a step with his soulful lyrics asking his new lover to not forget about him.

His voice becomes more and more powerful as the song progresses.

At the end, all the instruments fade out besides the simple piano and Newman’s voice.

“Easy” has the feel of a love ballad, however the background gives it more of an upbeat tone that highlights Newman’s vibrating vocals that send chills.

The album shifts pace with the track “Out of my head.” Listeners are instantly drawn with Newman’s soft, empathetic vocals over a simple piano. It becomes even more powerful as he belts out “To shut out being lonely” over a deep bass addition. This is the love ballad that makes the album the perfect breakup album.

His ‘70s soul-inspired track “Cheating” is an anthem that shows a more sassy tone from Newman. As the chorus begins, a gospel choir is featured as background vocals. He keeps up the same song progression as his other songs by building it from soft to loud and then bringing it back down.

The closing track, “All I need is you,” starts out with Newman singing in a dark tone over a piano and tambourine. It has a very gospel-like quality to it and showcases his range. This track is a positive, uplifting way to wrap up this breakup album.

Newman has a voice that people can listen to all day as he explains the heartache that you can’t necessarily put into words.

Ivanna Tucker / KSLC

Ivanna     Tucker    can          be            reached   at             [email protected]