Marvel unmaskes super hero storylines

Marvel comics’ “Civil War” series, originally released in seven issues, but now available in one trade back graphic novel, furthers the story of the world’s favorite superheroes.

After a group of mediocre “heroes” go out on a crime stopping spree and accidently blow themselves up along with an elementary school, the government pushed to unmask all heroes. The heroes are then forced to take sides, to either register themselves and continue on with their crime fighting while being meticulously monitored by Uncle Sam or to remain an enigma to the public, but become the criminals, at least legally, themselves.

Fighting for the registration initiative is Tony Stark, commonly known as Iron Man, and on the opposing side is Captain America. These two characters are the obvious leaders for their cause; Tony Stark has never been afraid to show himself as Iron Man while Captain America is fighting for the freedom of superheroes to stay anonymous.

Nearly any given Marvel hero is included in the story, including Spider-Man, the X-men, Hulk, etc. As the registration battle goes on, a full on war erupts between the two groups, leaving the reader to wonder not only who will win, but who should win?

Mark Millar, the author of “Civil War,” created a comic where there is no real “villain.” Each reader has their own opinion on the matter, but what they think is just that: an opinion. There is no true villain in an opinion, and if one is suggested, it should not be taken as a fact.

“Civil War” is definitely a storyline for adults, given that it is based on a lot of different political issues. The story is more than just one-liners and silly costumes, but rather it reflects the government and its flaws. Millar, stating it the best, said about his story, “the political allegory is only for those that are politically aware, kids are going to read it and just see a big superhero fight.”

Hollywood rumor has it that after a few more Avengers-based films, the studio will pursue a “Civil War” film, which I think, personally, would  be the best thing ever. But, to be honest, I kind of just always want to watch Chris Hemsworth (Thor) run around in tight pants with a hammer, regardless of what he’s actually doing.

A glorious thing about the “Civil War” series is that it can be read in addition to the Marvel storyline or simply as a stand-alone story. However, as a general warning to the public, once this story is read, the reader will want to continue reading Marvel comics. “Civil War” is basically a comic book gateway drug.

Paige       Jurgensen               can          be            reached   at             [email protected]

Paige Jurgensen / Columnist