Student-Athletes, philanthropic efforts

Recently, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) did a coin drive in hopes of raising money to build a track for orphans in

Kenya.

The committee had tables ran by student-athletes from the committee during sporting events the weekend of February 22- 23.

Additionally, members of the committee went through dorms informing students about what was going on, and how they could

participate.

“We raised $854.86 that will be donated to Open Arms International in efforts to raise funds to build a track and soccer stadium for

children in Eldoret, Kenya,” junior Audrey Frazier said.

Frazier is a volleyball player and member of SAAC.

Frazier also mentioned that, “this year was the largest amount of money the committee has raised for Open Arms International.”

Coin drives do not occur very often anymore.

However, sporting events are a great venue for student groups to collect donations.

Most students do not usually carry around spare change with them, which is why it was helpful for the members of the SAAC to go

through the dorms informing students of a time and place that they could donate spare change and in turn, raise awareness to support

the cause.

Junior swim team captain, Ian Coker, commented that the event went well, and noticed that, “it was mainly parents and Linfield

athletic patrons who donated the most coins.”

This brings to light that students today, unless notified previously as they were, do not come to events with coins in hand.

The amount of money the committee raised should be attributed to the students who went through the dorms informing students of

the coin drive.

Sporting events are a top venue to hold coin drives because of the athletic patrons, whether they are students or supporters of the

Linfield community, who may have purchased concession items and are willing to donate their spare change to the cause.

-The Review Editorial Board