Wildcats win, lose at home

Steal baseball

Senior Clayton Truex (32) waits for the ball at first base as a Western Oregon player attempts to steal in the second game of the doubleheader.
Spencer Beck/Staff photographer

The baseball team had a split doubleheader against Western Oregon University on Feb. 16 at home.

The first game was taken by Linfield after 4 innings of back and forth strikes, but at the fifth inning the ’Cats took the lead by five runs. Sophomore Finn McMichael scored the first run after Senior Jake Wylie sent it right down the middle of the field.

Baseball by Tyson, the other two are by Spencer
Left fielder Finn McMichael (27) makes contact during an at bat during the first game of the double header against non-conference opponent Western Oregon University. McMichael was eventually walked, which sparked a five run score in the bottom of the fifth inning.
Tyson Takeuchi/Senior sports photographer

At the end of the seventh inning Sophomore Eric Lawson got another run for Linfield. There were then two more hitless innings to seal up a win for Linfield ending 6-0.

The second game went to the Wolves after five more scoreless innings the ’Cats couldn’t hold off Western Oregon any more giving them four runs in two innings. In the finally inning the Wolves got another run and on the Wildcats last rally for a point they got shutout by the pitcher.

Linfield will play three games at home during Father’s Weekend, Feb. 21-23 facing off against Corban University, St. Martin’s College and Oregon Tech University.

Stephanie Hofmann/Sports editor