Classes underutilize technology

We are the technology generation. Most of us, depending on our career of choice, are expected to be technology savvy. However, not many classes at Linfield utilize technology as a learning tool for students.

The more students are exposed to the current technology, the better prepared they will be for life after Linfield and future careers where they will be expected to use multiple technologies to complete work.

The real world is often scary enough as it is without the added fear of not knowing how to use a tool that employers expect us to understand. By using technology in the classroom, such as iPads, it will help students gain experience in how to use these tools in a professional way rather than just for pleasure.

Many students may have iPads at home, but only a few have their own iPads that they brought to school and use for professional and academic purposes.

For those that do not have iPads or do not know how to use one for professional purposes, learning how to use them at school helps to put them on par with their peers in the area of technology.

By giving students iPads, they will have an opportunity to engage and learn with technology that they would not have otherwise had. Since students rarely get to use iPads in class, everyone will be incredibly excited for the opportunity to do their classwork on it. For example, the mass communication department has iPads that many classes use.

Every time a professor says it is time to use the iPads, the energy in the classroom increases and everyone seems reenergized to participate in the classroom activity.

Using iPads in the classroom may potentially save money overall by combining books, writing implements, calculators, word processors, etc. all in one media tablet while at the same time reducing paper usage.

The touch-screen interface allows students to engage more interactively with educational and interesting content.

Additionally, iPads are accessible to students with disabilities. Apps are available people with cognitive learning problems and there is also accessibility tools built into the latest iOS version.

The iPad can also be paired with an external keyboard to help teach and increase speed of typing. There are so many options to personalize an iPad to fit the needs of each individual.

Students have already shown that they will embrace new technology in today’s society, now they just need the time and tools to practice their skills in the classroom.

-The Review Editorial Board