Alumni reunions add to Homecoming festivities

Brad Thompson jpeg
Associate Professor and Mass Communication Department Chair, Brad Thompson, greets an alumnus on Oct. 5.
Spencer Beck/Freelance photographer

Alumni events for returning graduates of Linfield were among Homecoming week’s many festivities for Wildcats old and new.

Directors of Alumni and Parent Relations, Debbie Harmon Ferry and Travis McGuire, were responsible for coordinating the alumni-related reunions for people in the classes of ’53, ’63, ’73, ’83, ’93 and ’03.

Additional affinity alumni group reunions were planned for graduates who have spent time in the Peace Corps, served on Linfield’s alumni board, or studied abroad in Costa Rica.

“We have events planned for alumni who majored in political science, business or economics and communications or mass communication,” Ferry said.

“Lastly, we have helped coordinate reunions for members of Phi Sigma Sigma, Theta Chi and Delta Psi Delta sorority and fraternities,” Ferry said.

Group poli sci alum event jpeg
A group of political science alumni reunite on Oct. 5 in Pioneer Hall. Pictured left-to-right is Jack Cooley (class of 1962), Diane Carol (1963), Jim Stonier (1968), Doug Nelson (1963), Karen Nelson (1963) and George Nelson (1961).
Spencer Beck/Freelance phtographer

Sororities and fraternities at Linfield have worked with directors of alumni and parent relations to organize events with their past members.

These gatherings happened before and after Linfield’s victorious Homecoming football game at various places around campus.

“As an alumni, I can say I love homecoming and seeing friends. I plan to participate in events both Friday and Saturday,” said Jeff Mackay, associate dean of students and director of residence life.

Mackay has helped account for the arrival of 700 alumni and friends of Linfield who came to campus by coordinating residence hall tours, and explains to students.

Each alumni event featured its own special perks, and the reunion of Journalism, Communications and Mass Communication graduates boasted grilled hot dogs and a tasting of a new beer from Golden Valley Brewery.

Sophomore Ellen Massey participated in the Mass Communication reunion by leading tours of alumni around Renshaw Hall.

“I think it was a great opportunity to meet alumni and talk about our common interest in Mass Communication,” Massey said. “It was fun to hear their stories and about how the college has changed since they went to Linfield.”

Dawn Nowacki, Elizabeth and Morris Glicksman chair of political science, describes her event.

Photo Table phi sig alum event jpeg
Phi Sigma Sigma alumni enjoy leafing through photos and scrapbooks strewn across the tables at the
sorority’s Homecoming alumni event held on Oct. 5 in Ford Hall.
Spencer Beck/Freelance photographer

“We [had] an alumni reception for political science on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. in the Pioneer Reading Room. We have a very diverse list of alums who [attended], as well as former professors Howard Leichter and Elliot Tenofsky.”

Not every department hosted an alumni event.

“This is the first time [political science] has participated in such an event, and we are looking forward to seeing people we have not seen in a long time,”Professor Nowacki said.

These alumni reunions were not just for graduates of Linfield, but also for current students as well.

Current Wildcats had the opportunity to meet past students and helped give tours of each department’s facilities.

Helen Lee / Photo editor

Helen Lee can be reached at [email protected].