New faculty member performs for Linfield College

The newest music faculty member of Linfield College gave his faculty recital on Sept. 28 in Ice auditorium.

Dr. Albert Kim joined the Linfield College music department this August as an assistant professor of music.

Currently, he teaches music theory and keyboard classes and applied piano lessons.

He also recently received his doctoral degree on piano performance from Eastman School of Music in New York.

In his recital, he first performed Ave Maria by French Renaissance composer, Josquin des Prez. This is a piano arrangement of vocal work.

Then, he played Patita No.2 by J.S. Bach, and Sonata No.8 by Sergei Prokofiev.

The second half, he performed Notturno by Italian composer, Ottorino Respighi and several Scherzos by Chopin.

At last, and also the climax of the recital, Kim performed his original transcription and arrangement of La Valse by French composer, Maurice Ravel.

The recital was a big success, and many people spoke highly to this recital and the talented skills of Kim.

I fortunately had a chance to have a short interview with Kim.

When talking about his first impression of Linfield, he cannot hide his excitement.

“It is amazing how much activities go on in this music building, which is something I’ve already really love, and the other part is that all of students who are studying music here bring energy every day,” Kim said.

Kim emphasizes the passion of teaching at Linfield.

“When I was younger, I thought about what I could be doing or what I have to do, but it’s neither of those –it’s what I want to do, and I want to teach,” Kim said.

He expects his students in Linfield work hard and have fun with music.

“For the students, work. That’s all you can do,” Kim said. “Also enjoy it, that’s the other part of it. What’s wonderful I think about music is while you enjoy the study it, you past it on when you perform and teach. Remember, work hard and why you’re working.”

Yucheng Zhang / Senior photographer

YuCheng Zhang can be reached at linfieldreviewculture@gmailcom

YuCheng Zhang/Senior photographer

Dr. Albert Kim, assistant professor of music, performs the Patita No.2 by J.S.Bach, piano sonata No.8 by Sergei Prokofiev, several Scherzos by Chopin, and his piano arrangement of La Walse by Maurice Ravel. Kim recently received his doctorate degree from Eastman School of Music.