Texting is ruining communication, relationships

Technology is slowly ruining the way our generation communicates with one another.

Maybe I think this is true because I kind of hate texting and my soul dies a little bit every time I send someone an emoticon.

Or maybe, I just want my life to be like “The Notebook” and receive love letters from Ryan Gosling.

Regardless of why, texting is ruining relationships.

It’s so easy to send someone a quick text, and because of that we no longer appreciate communicating with someone, or more importantly, someone trying to communicate with us.

Back in the days of letter-writing, the mailman delivered more than just junk-mail and Netflix envelopes—people received letters from friends.

The letters being sent were written with care and probably more thought than the typical text message, like “K!”

Do not get me wrong, I love technology and I am addicted to the Internet.

Technology makes “shame shopping” for purchases, like the purchase of yet another pair of heels that I will probably wear only once, a whole lot easier.

I just wish that people cared as much as they did back when the best form of communication with a loved one was through a hand-written letter.

Texting and email is how the world communicates today, because let’s face it, people will avoid making a phone call if they can.

And because texts and emails are so easy to send and receive, no one actually appreciates them. This will eventually lead to no one truly appreciating one another.

Sure, there are always a select few that make our heart race when we receive a text message from them, but how many mundane texts do we receive before our hearts stop racing?

How long can technology keep us satisfied with each other?

Texting makes talking to one another easy, yes, but are we actually saying anything?

Think about the last text message that you sent, does it matter?

I am sure as hell that the last text message I sent, which was one to my sister about the fatty I saw wearing Crocs at the grocery store, could have gone unsent and unread, and the entire world would have remained the same.

Sometimes I think people text as often as they do, not for communication, but so that their useless thoughts can be validated by a smiley face response.

I just want the world to be beautiful and people to be true, so send someone a letter and make someone smile because you care about them and maybe, if you are lucky, you will receive a letter back and find out that someone cares about you too.

Paige Jurgensen / Columnist

Paige Jurgensen can be reached at [email protected].