New Year Brings New Students, Changes

Samantha Sigler

As everyone hurries to unpack, share scandalous summer stories with friends and check out the newest changes around campus, it is obvious that summer has come to an end. And while most students spent the summer relaxing and enjoying their downtime, Linfield underwent some major changes.

For those of you that have not noticed, there is now a fully-licensed Starbucks that accepts Wildcat Cash and Flex Dollars on campus (and like most of you upperclassmen, I also feel gypped). The Starbucks will be open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., closed Saturday and open Sunday from 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

O’Riley’s has also undergone renovations to be more welcoming and comfortable for students. Dillin Hall has been transformed completely. Dillin Hall now has new seating and community spaces for customers, improved vegetarian and vegan options, a larger salad bar and three new meeting rooms: Chef’s Dining Room, Northwest Room and President’s Dining Room. All three of these meeting rooms can be requested for events by emailing [email protected].

The hours of Dillin Hall have also changed: Monday through Thursday 7:00 a.m. to midnight, Friday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to midnight.

In addition to the changes made around campus, The Linfield Review has a few changes in store for the year. As the new Editor-in-chief, my goals this year are 1). to expand our online presence, 2). to connect Linfield to the McMinnville community and 3). to increase readership on campus and in McMinnville.

In addtion to using The Linfield Review’s Twitter and Facebook account, the Review plans to use its website to post articles online before they appear in print. Following the path of a world turning more toward digital media than ever before, I hope that readers of the Review will be able to find information online more easily throughout the year.

In regards to connecting Linfield to the McMinnville community, The Review hopes to break down the “Linfield bubble” so that students and faculty have a better understanding of all that McMinnville has to offer. Because the Linfield community spends the majority of their year in McMinnville, it only makes sense to inform students, faculty and community members about what is happening both on and off campus.

Through achieving the first two goals I hope to simultaneously fulfill my third goal, which is to increase readership as a whole. The Linfield Review has a lot to offer both Linfield and McMinnville, which I hope will become more apparent after this year.

Similar to how many freshman and transfer students must be feeling, I am a little bit hesitant to take on my new role here at the good ‘ole Review. But the Linfield community is strong, and I know that we will all adjust and embrace our new roles here on campus.

Have a great year Wildcats!

Samantha Sigler / Editor-in-chief

Samantha Sigler can be reached at [email protected]