New year, New Changes

Over the summer, major renovations have transformed the dining facilities across campus.

Dillin Hall is serving up more options, Starbucks has taken the place of Jazzman’s and Catty Shack is in the process of being turned into a convenience store.

After years of regional and national surveys, the dining facilities have been renovated to cater more to what students want around campus.

As for Dillin Hall, there are now four additional food stations each night, more hours of operation and “all you care to eat” meal plans. The previous salad bar has been expanded, a toss-to-order salad and deli station, waffle and omelet station and a “day and night station” that will serve Stumptown Coffee, espresso and grab-and-go items.

Five additional cooks have been hired and there will be more than double the number of student workers helping out this year compared to last year.

“When you have more help, you can put more love in your food,” David Epping, Sodexo employee, said. “The food already shows it. Dillin also has more of a restaurant feel to it now. It’s going to be really fun watching the students experience all of the changes this year.”

There are three meal plan options for students to choose from. Plan A includes unlimited meals during the week plus $125 declining balance, plan B will have 12 meals plus $330 declining balance and plan C will have 100 meals per semester and $600 declining balance.

Junior Malley Nason explained the new meal plan system in relation to blocks. Instead of a certain number of meals per week, students can eat during any of the three blocks; breakfast, lunch and dinner.

“Students will be able to add money to their declining balance for Starbucks and Catty Shack,” Nason said. “I think the new dining hall and meal plans are going to be a really good change for students, it will just take time for everyone to adjust.”

In addition to Dillin Hall, a fully licensed Starbucks is now open. The Starbucks accepts Wildcat Cash, Flex Dollars and Starbucks gift cards.

Tori Nickerson is one of ten student workers who will be working at Starbucks this semester.

“I already enjoy working at Starbucks because of the people I work with,” Nickerson said. “The atmosphere is awesome because of the items from [Linfield’s] Old Oak, the [Linfield College Archives] Photograph Collection and lots of seating. Its corporation taste and a small school environment.”

Catty Shack is currently serving as storage for items from the summer construction. Eventually, Catty Shack will be turned into a convenience store that sells “sundry items.”

Bill Masullo, director of dining services, says that the changes will mean more opportunities for students. He is excited about the renovations and thanks everyone for their patience as facilities continues to fine tune the different dining facilities.

Sarah Mason / Copy chief

Sarah Mason can be reached at [email protected]