Upward bound asks students, faculty to give back

Samantha Sigler

Upward Bound is hosting its annual Give and Go event around campus, asking students and faculty to donate everything from furniture and appliances to food and clothing to help raise money for scholarships for graduating high school seniors.

Students can donate items by going to any of the residence halls and placing items in the blue bins. For students who live in the Hewlett Packard Park apartments, blue bins are placed on each end of the building, and the students in the College Avenue, 540 or Blaine Street apartments can find blue bins inside of the laundry rooms.

With the donations given, Upward Bound first gives clothes and food to students and families involved in Upward Bound.

“Every family has a chance to take some food with them,” said Greg Mitchell, director of Upward Bound.

Items that are not given to families are also offered to other charities, and anything leftover is then sold at the annual Upward Bound rummage sale to help raise money to give low-income graduating seniors scholarships for college.

“The secondary aspect is the green side of it. Very little of it ends up actually going in a dumpster,” Mitchell said.

The Give and Go event usually raises about $5,000 in total, which is then split up between 10 to 15 senior students who help plan and organize Upward Bound’s annual garage sale. Two of the students receiving scholarships this year will be attending Linfield College next fall.

This year’s garage sale will be taking place in Linfield College’s warehouse on the corner of Booth Bend and highway 99 from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on July 12, and from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on July 13. For students who need help moving items to donate, Mitchell encourages them to call (503) 883-2205 to ask for help.

“It’s going toward hopefully helping [the students] achieve their goal of going to college,” Mitchell said. “That’s what we’re all about.”

Samantha Sigler

Editor-in-chief

Samantha Sigler can be reached at
linfieldrevieweditor@gmail.com.