Linfield’s student body elects new ASLC president, vice

Samantha Sigler

Joel Ray/Senior photographer Senior Nic Miles (left), outgoing ASLC president, along with other Cabinet members and Dan Fergueson, director of College Activities, surprise junior Dillon Casados with the announcement of Casados’ newly elected presidency.
Joel Ray/Senior photographer
Senior Nic Miles (left), outgoing ASLC president, along with other Cabinet members and Dan Fergueson, director of College Activities, surprise junior Dillon Casados with the announcement of Casados’ newly elected presidency.

Junior Dillon Casados was elected the Associated Students of Linfield College president, and junior Jake Baker was elected vice president on March 12.

Casados won with 387 votes and Baker won with 299. A total of 42 percent of the student body voted in the presidential elections, and 42 percent voted in the vice presidential elections.

“I’ve realized that when you put your mind to something and you put every ounce of passion that you embody into it, there are no limits” Casados said in an email.

Within the next few weeks, ASLC will be hiring for a new Cabinet. There have been around 15 applications. A board consisting of Casados, Baker and a few other past and present ASLC and Senate members will interview all of the applicants. Casados’ main goal for electing the new ASLC Cabinet is to go into interviews with an open mind to find the right person for each position.

“Over the next few months, I plan on being in constant contact with Nic [Miles] to better understand what my obligations consist of as president,” Casados
said in an email.

Casados is also excited to be working alongside Baker, and said he believes that their personalities complement one another nicely.

“We are on the same page in terms of ASLC and what we want to do,” Baker said. “This makes a big difference.”

Baker is excited to meet new people and have the chance to work with different groups around campus that he would not otherwise be able to interact with.

His goals for the upcoming year include meeting with organizations around campus, such as Greek Life, social programs and clubs to generate ideas for new projects.

“I want students and faculty to know that I am taking this job very seriously,” Baker said. “I would really like to leave Linfield knowing that I made tangible changes around campus.”

Samantha Sigler/News editor

Samantha Sigler can be reached at [email protected].