Track & field shines at Wildcat Open

The track and field team had another strong finish at the Wildcat Open on March 16.

Junior Anna LeBeaume moved up to second in the Linfield record books for the hammer throw with 162 feet, 10 inches. She ended in second at the meet behind the defending NAIA national champion Sharayah Kenady from Concordia University. LaBeaume also got fourth in shot put and fifth in discus.

Sophomore Halsie Peek placed on top for both 100- and 200-meter dash. Senior Melany Crocker fell behind, placing third in the 100 and fourth in the 200. Peek and Crocker, along with sophomore Ellie Schmidt and senior Rachael Gernhart won both the 4×100 and 4×400 relays, gaining a season-best, while running the four laps with 4 minutes 9.97 seconds.

“I believe that winning is driven very much by one’s mental attitude. Therefore, taking first in all four events gave me a sense of personal accomplishment,” Peek said. “I feel that I’ve achieved a goal that will further improve my mentality.”

Gernhart also brought in an individual win in the triple jump, leaping 34 feet, 4 inches.

On the men’s side, junior Jason Cheyne finished first in the 100 and second in the 200-meter dash. Senior Lester Maxwell pulled in around the corner in third place, speeding into the finish line in second for the 800-meter, with 1 minute, 56.64 seconds.

In field events, sophomore Morgunn Ewing won first place, throwing 180 feet. Senior Drew Wert placed third in shot put, with 42 feet, 5.5 inches. Freshman Steven Holland came in second for high jump, while junior Charlie Poppen came in third. This was their first time competing in this event.

“As a whole, we did really well,” Peek said. “Having a Linfield athlete place in the top four for almost every event gives us a good outlook for the rest of the season, where we will only continue to improve.”

Freshman Joy Harpham competed in her first career heptathon March 14 and 15 at the Boxer Combined Event. Harpham finished in 11th overall.

The Wildcats will next compete at the Lewis & Clark Open at 10 a.m. March 22 and 23.

Ivanna Tucker

Sports editor

Ivanna Tucker can be reached at

[email protected].