Wildcat softball sweeps weekend

Catball gained the top spot in the conference standings after sweeping Pacific University and Lewis and Clark University.

On March 3, the Wildcats faced Lewis and Clark in a doubleheader, winning the first game 8-0 and the second 6-0.

Junior shortstop Katy Brosig swings at a pitch during the doubleheader against Pacific University. Brosig is batting .333 through the Wildcats’ first eight games. Tyson Takeuchi/Senior photographer
Junior shortstop Katy Brosig swings at a pitch during the doubleheader against Pacific University. Brosig is batting .333 through the Wildcats’ first eight games.
Tyson Takeuchi/Senior photographer

Juniors Karina Paavola and Shelby VandeBergh both made appearances on the mound with shut out performances.

Paavola was selected as an All- American returning.

Sophomore outfielder Grace Middelstadt scored the first run for the Wildcats after a groundout to short by senior third basemen Karleigh Prestianni.

The Pioneers were only allowed one hit under Paavola and reliever freshman Maddy Dunn.

The Wildcats scored in every inning except for the fourth. Junior Ashley Garcia went two for three with one RBI and two runs scored.

In game two, junior Haylie Watson hit a homerun for the Wildcats, while Middelstadt had a pair of hits and two stolen bases.

VandeBergh and reliever sophomore Montana McNealy struck out 11, seven of which came from McNealy, who did not allow a hit or walk during her three-inning appearance.

On March 2, the Wildcats started their weekend sweep with a doubleheader against Pacific, winning the first game 3-0 and second game 9-1.

In the first game, Paavola allowed two hits and struck out 10 Boxers.

During the second inning, the Boxers tested the Wildcats’ defense.

After two walks and a single, the bases were loaded with one out left. Paavola kept her composure, striking out one for the second out, and then forcing a Boxer to pop out, ending the inning.

The Wildcats scored their lone three runs in the third inning, leading them to their first victory of the weekend.

In the second game, a power performance was displayed with a two-run homerun from Catball’s Garcia and a solo homerun by Boxer centerfielder Becca Moen.

The VandeBergh and McNealy match-up held the Boxers to four hits and one run.

The Boxers had one error in the third.

The Wildcats will compete next in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Leadoff Classic. They will first face Ithaca College on March 8.

Ivanna Tucker/ Sports editor

Ivanna Tucker can be reached at [email protected].