The Linfield Review continues to make new strides and successes

Helen Lee, Editor-in-Chief

The Linfield Review won eight awards at the annual Oregon Newspapers Foundation Collegiate Day conference on May 9.

The Review has a record of success at the conference, which the Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association held at Linn Benton Community College this year.

The ONPA-sponsored event is an educational opportunity for collegiate reporters, and features an awards ceremony.

Oregon college newspaper staffs heard from keynote speaker Brent Walth, managing editor for news of the Willamette Week, on changes in the journalism industry. Students also heard about investigative and mobile reporting, as well as ethics, from Les Zaitz, senior investigative reporter at The Oregonian; Chelsea Wicks, Eliza Collins, and Kim Uong of The Daily Emerald; and Peter Korn, reporter for the Portland Tribune.

Editors, reporters, and photographers for the Review earned awards in a variety of categories, ranging from “best section” to “best sports photography.”

News editor and junior Olivia Marovich took first place in the “best section” category. Although she will not be continuing with the Review, she will serve as ASLC’s publicity director for the 2014-2015 school year, and values the experience she gained while working for the newspaper.

“I am very thankful to receive this award. I feel very proud and grateful to have worked with such a great staff this year,” Marovich said.

Managing editor and senior Kaylyn Peterson placed second in “best headline writing” for her headline about the opening of Sushi Kyo Express in McMinnville. The headline was “new sushi restaurant splashes into McMinnville.”

Peterson has been on staff for three years as a freelance reporter, sports editor and copy chief before working as managing editor this year. She credits the newspaper as her “driving force” during her time at Linfield, and will miss the Review after she graduates.

“Headlines are probably the most fun part of newspaper because you get to be witty, so you get to come up with fun, enticing headlines. I feel like I’ve learned a lot while working for the Linfield Review, and I found future opportunities in an area I never thought I would have joined,” Peterson said.

Staff photographer and freshman Spencer Beck took second in “best sports photography” and senior Tyson Takeuchi took first.

Beck enjoys photography as a creative outlet, and was promoted from freelance photographer to staff photographer at the start of the spring semester.

“While in the past I’ve won smaller photo contests, it is incredible rewarding to be receiving statewide credit for my work,” Beck said.

The Linfield Review also placed second in “best photography,” third in “best house advertisement,” third in “best website,” and third in “general excellence.”

Copy editor and freshman Rosa Johnson represented the Review at the conference along with editor-in-chief and junior Samantha Sigler, sports editor and freshman Stephanie Hofmann, and photo editor and freshman Helen Lee.

Johnson will be the 2014-2015 managing editor, and said the conference “allowed the staff of the Linfield Review to venture into the journalism field in order to see the variety of publications.”

“It [the conference] has inspired our future staff to strive for a better newspaper in order to benefit the students, staff, and faculty of Linfield College,” Johnson said.

The Review’s staff hopes to continue its winning streak at the ONPA next year.

Helen Lee can be reached at [email protected]

Tyson Takeuchi/ For the Review Senior Tyson Takeuchi, former senior sports photographer, earns first in best sports photographer at ONPA. Takeuchi worked from the Review from spring 2013 to fall 2013.
Tyson Takeuchi/ For the Review
Senior Tyson Takeuchi, former senior sports photographer, earns first in best sports photographer at ONPA. Takeuchi worked from the Review from spring 2013 to fall 2013.