Baseball strikes down Boxers

It was a wild weekend for the Wildcat baseball team as they defeated the University of the Pacific Boxers in a double-header on March 1 kick starting their conference season to 2-0. The Wildcats dominated the first game with a final score of 18-3.

In the top of the first inning, the Wildcats were up to bat with lead off hitter shortstop junior Corey VanDomelen.

Linfield gained an automatic on base from a walk by Boxers’ pitcher Jimmy Brakebush and shortly after senior Clayton Truex drove in an RBI after ripping a double to left center field.

Pacific responded with an RBI and the score was tied 1-1. Sophomore third baseman Eric Lawson drove a single down the left field line and was credited with two RBI’s.

However, the top of the fourth inning was a beauty for the ’Cats with eight runs scored. With two outs and a runner on third and first, senior Kramer Lindell stole second base and sophomore Eric Lawson sprinted in for a run. On the next at bat, senior Nate McClellan doubled to left center sending Lindell home and the ’Cats were up 2-0 in the top of the fourth. It was not over yet, as McClellan scored on a wild pitch, Carroll doubled to right center and the rest was history. Lawson singled to right field bringing in two runners and a double by right fielder senior Nick Fischer gave Linfield a generous twelve run lead and a 14-2 score.

The sixth inning was another exciting inning. To no avail, Fischer hit a home run driving in pinch hitter sophomore Kekoa Kaulukukui on second and VanDomelen on first, putting the score to 17-2.

The rest is history. The ’Cats scored once more in the ninth inning and the Boxers’ scored once more in the seventh, ending 18-2.

However, thanks to a double header, the Wildcats win was short focused in comparison to their game ahead. After coming off a victory to the Pacific Boxers, the remaining question was whether they could do it again.

The first inning went well for the Wildcats as Fischer tripled to right center field and Truex walked to first. After a single by Lindell, Linfield took the lead, 1-0.

The fifth inning became the turning point in the match with five runs scored on five hits. With a run scored by Lawson and an RBI credited to Fischer, Linfield took the lead 3-0. Shortly after, left fielder Carroll doubled to left center field and brought in another two runs. Then, a single by designated hitter Ben Andrews, and a wild pitch from the Boxers led Carroll in for yet, another, ’Cats score. With Andrews on third and Laboda on second, a Boxers error gave Linfield another run and the inning ended at a final score of 7-0.

The sixth and seventh innings were no run innings. In the top of the eighth inning, the Wildcats scored four more runs.

Linfield ended the game with a final score of 11-0. The double header proved to be no problem for the Wildcats and their conference record improved to 2-0 while their season record bettered to 9-2.

The Wildcats will make up the game on March 3 against Pacific University, that was originally scheduled for March 2.

Casie Gaza/For the Review

[email protected]