Baseball bounces back with two weekend wins

Coming off of a loss last week, the Linfield baseball team wanted to jump into this week and get back to their winning standards.

Baseball 1
Sophomore Eric Lawson gets ready to hit the ball in the first part of the game against Oregon Tech University. The team got the only run of the game which happened this fifth inning.
Spencer Beck/Staff photographer

They started their weekend facing off against Corban University. The Wildcats got out to a quick 2-0 lead in the first inning, but allowed Corban to score in the second and third, tying the game up.

Linfield then scored another two runs in the bottom of the third, but only held that for an inning before letting Corban tie the game up again.

Corban took a two run lead in the bottom of the eighth inning, but, while Linfield did make a comeback attempt, they couldn’t get the job done. They scored one run in the bottom of the ninth, but it was too little too late.

Linfield lost their second game in a row with the final score of 6-5.

Baseball 2
Senior pitcher Zach Brandon (22) throws the ball towards the Oregon Tech batter during the last game of father’s weekend.
Spencer Beck/Staff photographer

Their next game was against St. Martins University. This was the second of their three game home stand.

The Wildcats shot out of the gate with a 4-0 lead in the first two innings, and increased that lead to 6-0 after the sixth.

St. Martins attempted to come back in the ninth inning, but only managed two runs, giving Linfield the win with a final score of 6-2.

Junior pitcher Chris Haddeland threw for eight innings. He didn’t give up a single run and only allowed four hits. To top that off, he struck out five and only walked one.

The third game of their homestand was against Oregon Tech. While Linfield managed eight hits, they were unable to score until the bottom of the fifth inning.

That was the only score of the game, as the Wildcats won 1-0. Senior first baseman Clayton Truex was a big help at the plate for Linfield, going two for three with a walk on the game.

Linfield threw four pitchers who combined to only give up four hits and strike out seven.

Linfields next two games will be away. The first of which will be played at 11 a.m. on March 1 in Forest Grove, Ore. That will be the first of a two game series against Pacific University.

Drew Mahrt/Senior Sports reporter