Men’s soccer improves each year

Linfield added two losses to their record during the weekend of Nov. 2, moving them to sixth in the Northwest Conference and sending their record to 8-8-2.

The Wildcats took on the Whitman College Missionaries on Nov. 2, but came away with the loss due to three Whitman goals late in the second.

While Linfield did score their first goal since Oct. 20, they still couldn’t manage to keep their opponents from scoring. They lost the game 4-1.

Linfield also took the loss against Whitworth University on Nov. 3, with the final score being 3-0.

Linfield sits at an 8-8-2 record and, with only one game left, hopes to stay above .500.

Linfield has, however, officially improved from last year to now. The Wildcats’ record last year was 7-11, whereas this year they have eight wins with a game left to go.

The Wildcats have finished in sixth place during five out of their last six seasons, but are showing major improvement as of late and giving hope to a fifth place or better season next year.

The freshman talent has been a huge factor in Linfield’s improvement, as their second leading scorer freshman Nicholas Autencio has contributed five goals, just three behind the team’s leading scorer.

Freshmen keeper Jorge Rodriguez and defender Wyatt Lay have also been key parts of the Wildcat defense. Rodriguez has recorded 50 plus saves this year even with missing four of the games, and has done a fantastic job of keeping Linfield’s opponents from racking up high scoring games.

Lay has been a brick wall on defense rarely letting his man get by him. He has played the full 180 minutes in the majority of his starts, and has earned every minute of that.

Linfield plays Willamette in their final game of the year. While this may not be a championship deciding game, it is still a key game to the Wildcats season, as a win will take their record to 9-8-2, putting them above .500. This game will be played at 1:30 p.m. on Nov. 9, here at the Linfield soccer field.

Drew Mahrt/Senior sports reporter

[email protected]