Men’s basketball loses in season starting game

The Linfield men’s basketball started their season with an exhibition game against Western Oregon University on Nov. 1. They lead going into halftime, but could close out and finished with a 70-64 loss.

Linfield outscored its opponent by five, leading 43-38 and finishing with a 15-3 run in the last five minutes of the first half, but couldn’t manage to hold off the Wolves in the end. They played well on defense, but could seem to get the offense rolling again in the second, as they were outscored by 11.

They had an excellent performance coming from freshman guard Ryan Potter, as he scored 20 points in the loss. He went 6-8 from beyond the three-point line and added two more from free throws, making a perfect 2-2 from the charity stripe. Potter also finished the game with three rebounds, two assists and only one turnover. Junior guard Adam Myren also had a solid game coming away with 12 points and four rebounds.

Even though freshman guard Tanner Brill couldn’t get the hot hand with his shots from the field, he kept his nerves under control and went 6-6 from the free throw line, as well as adding three rebounds and two assists.

Linfield shot a decent 57.1 percent from the field and a great 66.7 percent from past the three-point line, but dropped these stats down to 27.6 percent from the field and 26.7 percent for three in the second.

The Wildcats finished this game with a 40.0 shooting percentage and a 44.4 three point percentage. They did a bit better from the free throw line, shooting 75 percent making 12 out of 16 attempts, but this couldn’t help them to victory.

The men will play in the Bon Appetit Classic against Old Westbury University at 7 p.m. on Nov. 16 in the Ted Wilson Gymnasium, followed by a game against Portland Bible College at 5 p.m. on Nov. 17 in Portland, Ore.

Their first regular season game will be at 8 p.m. on Dec. 7 against George Fox University. This game will be played away in Newberg, Ore.

Drew Mahrt/Senior sports reporter