Volleyball seniors play at final home game, lose 3-0

The Wildcats celebrate the two seniors at the final home game of the season on Nov. 1.

The volleyball team’s two seniors are Kelsey Ludin and Shayli Coopock.

Ludin has played for Linfield since her freshman year, and has started every season.

Starting her freshman year, she was second on the team in kills with 191 and second on the team in blocks at 0.6 per set.

Ludin’s sophomore year, she earned 178 kills  and 33 block assists.

Her junior year had a recorded 173 kills and 40 block assists.

Coopock has also started all four season.

“It’s been really fun, but different,” Coopock said. “Every year has had different dynamic.

Ludin and Coopock agree that their junior season was their favorite of their careers.

“We had a really good season last year,” Ludin said. “It wasn’t even our best season, I think, but we just had a lot of fun.”

“We had a good group of girls, and we worked really good together,” Coopock said.

Ludin and Coopock both expressed just how much it has meant for them to be on the team all these years.

“I definitely wouldn’t have gotten to meet everyone I’ve met, if I hadn’t joined,” Ludin said. “I met my best friend, Shayli, when we joined freshman year.”

“We started playing together freshman year, and we became best friends,” Coopock said.

While the two seniors plan on moving back home after graduation, they both have plans to stay involved in volleyball.

Ludin hails from Bozeman, Mont., and plans to return home after graduation. However before the school year is over, Ludin already has plans to coach a club volleyball team in McMinnville, this spring. With the help of her health education major, Ludin also explores the possibilities to coach when she returns  home.

Coopock will be returning home to Temecula, Calif., upon graduation with a degree in psychology. While she has no set plans for volleyball in the future, Coopock is sure she will continue playing, as volleyball is a big part of her hometown’s culture.

“I live in southern California, so I will probably still play when I get home,” Coopock said. “I’ll play beach and indoor. It’s really popular down there.”

The final home game against George Fox University ended in defeat for the Wildcats, as the Bruins won 3-0.

The Wildcats also played against Pacific University Nov. 2, where the teams battled for the win. Linfield claimed victory over the Boxers, winning three of the five sets.

Linfield will play its final away games Nov. 8 and 9. The Wildcats will face off with Whitman College at 7 p.m. on Nov. 8 in Walla Walla, Wash., followed by a game against Witworth University at 7 p.m. on Nov. 9 in Spokane, Wash.

The Wildcats remain in last for the Northwest conference with a 3-11 record.

Kaylyn Peterson/Managing editor