Men’s soccer fall to Lutes, Loggers

The Linfield men’s soccer team took two losses on the weekend of Oct. 26, losing to both Puget Sound University and Pacific Lutheran University.

Linfield’s game against Puget Sound went downhill during the second half. Puget Sound only managed to get one goal about halfway into the first half against the tough Linfield defense, but after Linfield scored on themselves, it’s defense didn’t keep it’s tough status, giving up three more goals in the second.

On the other side of the ball, the Wildcats just couldn’t get anything going, their offense did fairly well getting the ball downfield, but could not convert those drives into goals as they would either lose the ball or miss the shot.

Linfield freshman keeper Jorge Rodriguez managed to save four shots, but was overwhelmed by Puget Sound’s group-based offense getting passed his last line of defenders, leaving Rodriguez with two or three-on-one situations.

Linfield played Pacific Lutheran in its game on Oct. 27 and took another loss with a final score of 3-0.

Pacific Lutheran scored its first goal within six minutes of the game starting and didn’t turn back. Linfield did manage to put up two more shots than their opponent, but it wasn’t nearly enough to help them win the game, as they were shut out for the second game in a row.

Much like Linfield’s previous game, they only allowed one goal in the first half, but tired out in the second and gave up two more.

Rodriguez saved another four shots, but was overrun again by swarms of opposing offenders. He recorded his 50th save of the year in this game.

The Wildcats will take on Whitman at 1:30 p.m. on Nov. 2 and Whitworth at the same time on Nov. 3. Both of these games will be played on the road before coming back and finishing their regular season with a game at home.

Drew Mahrt/Senior Sports reporter

[email protected]