Wildcats lose against conference leaders, 3-0 sets

Volleyball jpeg 2
Linfield’s volleyball team celebrates after outside hitter Kailana Ritte-Camara (16) spiked the ball to score a point during the second set of the Oct. 18 match against the University of Puget Sound. Ritte-Camara had five kills during that match. The Linfield Wildcats will face the Willamette Bearcats on Oct. 25 in Salem.
Helen Lee/Photo editor
Volleyball jpeg 5
Setter Audrey Frazier (10) dives to save a spike against Pacific Lutheran in the third set of their match on Oct. 19. Frazier had seven digs in the match.
Drew Mahrt/Senior sports reporter

The Wildcats face another crushing blow against Pacific Lutheran University and Puget Sound University on Oct. 18 and 19.

The volleyball team finished the weekend earning their ninth conference loss, 3-0, against Pacific Lutheran.

“Some challenges the team faced this weekend was beating ourselves,” Junior Kailana Ritte-Camara said in an email. “We just have to minimize our unforced errors on our side of the court, and to capitalize on free balls.”

The first set started in favor of the Lutes, but was followed by the first Linfield kill by junior Victoria Thompson.

Ritte-Camara earned the second kill of the set. However after a short lead, Pacific Lutheran regained the lead. The set ended, 25-14 for the Lutes.

The Lutes quickly took control of the second set, except briefly when the ’Cats were tied at the ninth point due to a service error on Pacific Lutheran. Pacific Lutheran took the set, 25-20.

The third set also went to Pacific Lutheran with a momentary lead by the Wildcats thanks to kills by Thompson and freshman Molly McTaggart. However, the Lutes won the final set, 25-20.

“I think we played really hard this past weekend, and we had moments of great volleyball,” Ritte-Camara said in an email. “So if we just clean it up a little but, we will be a great team. We have so much talent, we just have to be consistent enough to show our potential.”

The Friday match against Logger ended with a loss for the Wildcats. Puget Sound has been slotted to win the conference title once again with a NWC record of 9-1. The Loggers won Friday’s match 3-0.

Oct. 18’s match was also featured as a “Pinkout” event through the combined effort of the Linfield Athletic department and Zeta Tau Alpha sorority. The Wildcats wore pink jerseys in support of Breast Cancer Awareness month, while members of the ZTA sorority handed out pink ribbons to spectators.

“We had an awesome time for the pinkout game because we know how important it is,” Ritte-Camara said in an email. “We supported it by wearing pink jerseys, which we loved. Volleyball jpeg 4Some girls also used pink tape to honor the pinkout.”

The team will next compete against Willamette at 7 p.m. on Oct. 25 in Salem, Ore. On the following day, the Wildcats will face off with the Lewis & Clark Pioneers at 7 p.m. in Portland, Ore.

Kaylyn Peterson / Managing editor

Kaylyn Peterson can be reached a[email protected].